Vogue quietly deleted a glossy write-up of a Martha’s Vineyard wedding when it turned out the gathering caused a COVID-19 cluster



a small boat in a body of water: Sailboats and motorboats anchored in Vineyard Haven harbor on Martha's Vineyard in June 2020. Mark Lennihan/AP


© Mark Lennihan/AP
Sailboats and motorboats anchored in Vineyard Haven harbor on Martha’s Vineyard in June 2020. Mark Lennihan/AP

  • On Tuesday, Vogue deleted a story from its website featuring the October 11 wedding of Chelsea Keyes and Evan McDuffie on Martha’s Vineyard — one day after posting the article online.
  • The story was deleted after it came to light that the wedding had caused an outbreak of ten coronavirus cases, according to the Vineyard Gazette.
  • Before the story was taken down, the article showed photos of many attendees forgoing face masks and social distancing, according to local outlets. 
  • The outbreak came at the start of a new surge of COVID-19 cases on Martha’s Vineyard.
  • In a statement to the Martha’s Vineyard Times, the bride said: “While we do not know the source of the outbreak, we deeply regret the impact it’s had on our guests, family, and the Island community.”
  • Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.

A 1,000-word story about a Martha’s Vineyard wedding was quietly deleted from Vogue’s website on Tuesday after a resident complained to the magazine that the event had contributed to a coronavirus cluster on the island, the Vineyard Gazette reported.

The article, which was posted online on Monday, detailed the October 11 wedding of Chelsea Keyes and Evan McDuffie at the Lambert’s Cove Inn in West Tisbury, according to the Martha’s Vineyard Times, which — along with the Vineyard Gazette — had read the story before it was taken down.

The story made no mention of the attendees getting sick after the wedding, and in the nearly 70 photos included in the Vogue story, attendees were rarely seen wearing face masks or following social distancing, both outlets reported.

The article is no longer available, but a post from Vogue’s official account still mentions the wedding.

Health officials have connected to the wedding ten COVID-19 infections, including those of six island workers, according to the Vineyard Gazette.

While no other COVID-19 cases on Martha’s Vineyard have been directly tied to the wedding, the cluster corresponded with a surge of cases on the island.

In the past three weeks, the island has recorded 118 new infections — more cases than the island experienced in the first seven months of the pandemic alone, the Martha’s Vineyard Times reported.

The Vineyard Gazette first reported on the cluster in late October.

At the time, island health officials said the venue would not be penalized because it adhered to all state and local protocols, the newspaper reported. However, the officials said that wedding guests did violate interstate travel rules, which required anyone coming from outside Massachusetts to fill out a travel form and either quarantine for 14 days or provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

But by the time the cluster was identified, the out-of-staters had already returned home and no one was fined, the Vineyard Gazette reported.

Insider has contacted the couple and Condé Nast, Vogue’s parent company, for comment.

A representative for

Read more

Charles and Diana’s wedding caused a ‘frenzy.’ Here’s why it’s not in ‘The Crown’

The Prince and Princess of Wales return to Buckingham Palace by carriage after their wedding, 29th July 1981. She wears a wedding dress by David and Elizabeth Emmanuel and the Spencer family tiara. (Photo by Princess Diana Archive/Getty Images)
Prince Charles and Diana, newly anointed Princess of Wales, returning to Buckingham Palace on their wedding day in 1981. (Princess Diana Archive / Getty Images)

On July 29, 1981, the world watched as Prince Charles married Lady Diana Spencer. It was an event like no other, defined by both traditional British pomp and circumstance and a sense of ushering in a new era for the royal family. And it defines the fourth season of “The Crown,” which spans 1977 to 1990 and centers on the stormy relationship between Charles and Diana (played by Josh O’Connor and Emma Corrin). As portrayed in the series, streaming on Netflix beginning Sunday, the wedding is a nostalgia trip for those who remember the historic nuptials — and an introduction, for those who don’t, to one of the most closely watched events in recent British history.

The wedding festivities were seen by 750 million people in 74 countries, according to the BBC, with 28.4 million tuning in from the U.K. itself (24 million Brits watched Prince William marry Kate Middleton in 2011 and around 18 million watched Prince Harry wed Meghan Markle in 2018). In addition to the intense public fascination with Diana, the high interest may also have stemmed from the fact that there hadn’t been a major royal wedding since Princess Margaret’s in 1960 — more than two decades to wait for such a spectacle.

“Royal weddings have an indelible mark on history and culture. I think it’s because they are such punctuations in people’s lives,” says Eleri Lynn, curator of the Royal Ceremonial Dress Collection at Historic Royal Palaces and Kensington Palace’s 2017 exhibition “Diana: Her Fashion Story.” “The ceremony and the pageantry is on such a grand scale, [and] in history, we as human beings are drawn to ceremony and pageantry as ways of marking time and lives. These are not only shared family moments, but shared national moments.”

In Britain, 1981 was generally not a happy time. The country, under the leadership of Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher (portrayed in “The Crown” by Gillian Anderson), was in a recession, with many people out of work and feeling hopeless. Racial strife consumed many major cities around the U.K. throughout the spring and summer. Prince Charles pushed for the magnificent occasion as a way of bringing the country together.

“When Charles was told that it would be too expensive to have the wedding in St. Paul’s Cathedral because they would need too much security and too many soldiers, he said, ‘We’ll stand them farther apart,’” recalls royal biographer Penny Junor, who has written several books on Charles and Diana. “He felt, quite strongly, that this was what the country needed — a focus to take people’s minds off the problems that everyone was facing at that time. … There was big debate about whether it was right in a time of hardship to put on a big display like this wedding. His view was that it was a good idea to

Read more

Cuomo Slams ‘Super-Spreader’ New York Wedding That Caused A Coronavirus Outbreak

Topline

A country club in Long Island had its liquor license pulled by the state of New York Monday after it hosted a blowout wedding in October that led to dozens of new coronavirus infections, more than 150 people in quarantine and even temporary closures of several local schools.

Key Facts

North Fork Country Club will be barred from serving alcohol for hosting a wedding with 113 guests, more than double the 50 allowed under Governor Andrew Cuomo’s executive order limiting gatherings, the state said.

A staggering 30 guests at the wedding later tested positive for the virus, along with three country club employees and a wedding vendor, according to the governor’s office.

An estimated 159 people were possibly exposed to the virus after the nuptials, and fears over the outbreak led to multiple area schools being shut down temporarily.

The tri-state area is bracing for a second wave of the pandemic, with New Jersey announcing new restrictions on Monday and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio warning the city is “dangerously close” to another outbreak.

Crucial Quotes

“As we have seen in weddings and similar events across the country during this pandemic, large gatherings can easily be super-spreader events, too often with dire consequences,” Cuuomo said in a statement. “Hosting one of these events after all New York has been through is obnoxious and irresponsible—not to mention illegal.”

Key Background

Pandemic weddings have had devastating results. A summer wedding reception in Millinocket, Maine spawned a coronavirus outbreak that infected nearly 200 people and killed six. A pair of San Francisco newlyweds spent what should have been their honeymoon phase infected with coronavirus after holding a wedding that violated city orders. To stay safe, other couples have turned to tech by hosting an Animal Crossing wedding or even a FaceTime session with a rabbi to seal the deal.

Further Reading

Death Of Fifth Person Linked To Maine Wedding Comes Following Wave Of Coronavirus Cases From Summer Nuptials (Forbes)

Weddings In The Age Of Coronavirus: Couples FaceTime With Rabbi, Avatar Nuptials And More (Forbes)

De Blasio Warns NYC ‘Dangerously Close’ To Covid-19 Second Wave As New Jersey Imposes Restrictions (Forbes)

Source Article

Read more

Acosta Report Explores the “Mobile-ization” of Grocery Shopping and Acceleration Caused by COVID-19

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., Nov. 9, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — With more than 260 million people now using smartphones in the U.S., it’s no surprise that grocery shopping is becoming an increasingly mobile experience, which has only been accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic. Research released today in The Mobile-ization of Grocery Shopping report from Acosta — a leading full-service sales and marketing agency in the consumer packaged goods industry — provides insight into how and why consumers are “mobile-izing” when it comes to grocery shopping.

The Mobile-ization of Grocery Shopping report from Acosta provides insight into how and why consumers are “mobile-izing” when it comes to grocery shopping.

“Smartphones have grown to become a huge part of daily life, so it’s only natural that retailers and shoppers are connecting this technology with the grocery buying experience,” said Colin Stewart, Executive Vice President, Business Intelligence at Acosta. “We saw increased mobile-ization numbers this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The shopping experience has significantly changed, and many consumers are limiting their trips to the grocery store and being as efficient as possible with their time in the store. To do this, they are looking to mobile solutions more and more.”

The Mobile-ization of Grocery Shopping provides a comprehensive breakdown of the latest trends in mobile-assisted and online shopping, including:

Who is “Mobile-izing”?

  • Eighty-nine percent of U.S. grocery shoppers are using a smartphone, 22% more than in 2015.
  • Fifty-eight percent of U.S. shoppers agreed they are comfortable using digital/online tools to assist with grocery shopping, up significantly from 35% of shoppers in 2015.
  • A shopper’s age/generation strongly correlates with how comfortable they feel using digital tools for grocery shopping, with 74% of Millennial shoppers feeling comfortable compared to less than half of Boomer shoppers.

Digital, Mobile & Social

  • More shoppers are viewing the grocery circular on their smartphones. In 2020, 34% of shoppers viewed the grocery circular online, and 26% of shoppers viewed the grocery circular via a retailer app.
  • Over the past five years, there have been significant shifts in the type of grocery coupons shoppers redeem. The percentage of shoppers redeeming paper/print coupons declined, and significant increases have been seen in the percentage of shoppers who have downloaded grocery coupons to their shopper card or mobile device.
  • More than seven in 10 shoppers report using a grocery retailer’s app. Shoppers use this technology for online orders as well as other reasons including to find products in the store and participate in loyalty programs.
  • Many grocery shoppers follow brands/products (48%) as well as retailers/stores (44%) on social media. Shoppers follow for special promotions or discounts, to learn about new products, to learn about special events or sales, and to get ideas for product use or recipes.

“Mobile-assisted grocery shopping is here to stay and offers a great opportunity for brands and retailers to truly meet the needs of today’s shoppers,” added Stewart. “By delivering an end-to-end approach from mobile recipe/meal planning and list making to e-commerce and an in-store experience that is enhanced by mobile, they can not only attract more customers but also engage with them in new and meaningful ways — during

Read more

Covid wedding refund battles ’caused so much stress and drama’

Image copyright

Getty Images

Image caption

Weddings were banned when lockdown began on 23 March, affecting 73,600 weddings and civil partnership ceremonies

Couples whose plans to get married during 2020 were scuppered by the coronavirus pandemic have faced struggles to reclaim deposit money, often thousands of pounds, which venues and suppliers have sometimes refused to refund.

“We’re not talking a few quid here, we’re talking thousands of pounds for their dream day,” said wedding planner Lorraine Carroll.

When Alisha Rehman
spoke to BBC News about her battle
to get back £16,000 from Excellency Midlands, it prompted more couples to get in touch and share their frustrations.

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA)
published guidance
in September outlining “where lockdown laws prevented a wedding from going ahead on the agreed date as planned, the starting point under the law is that the consumer should be offered a full refund”. This, however, has not always been straightforward for couples to use as a way of getting their money back.

‘It’s caused so much stress and drama’

Image copyright

Russell Wallwork

Image caption

Russell Wallwork and Stacey Hurman say they now want to elope

Russell Wallwork and Stacey Hurman were due to marry on 28 May at Cadbury House in Bristol. On the first day after lockdown was announced in March the couple, who live in Ilfracombe, Devon, called their venue to ask for a refund.

“We didn’t know how long it [coronavirus] would go on for,” Mr Wallwork, 31, said.

“Anything could go wrong, the business could go bust, but they only offered a postponement. We’d booked an outdoor wedding, so it’s not like we could get married in October, we’d just rather have our money back.”

The couple had booked the wedding in 2019 and paid just shy of £9,000 for an “all-inclusive package” for 64 day guests and a further 20 in the evening.

Mr Wallwork said they came to an agreement with the venue to move the wedding to August but when their registrar and other suppliers could not move to that date, they again requested a refund.

They were then told when they had agreed to the new date it had become a legally binding contract and their terms and conditions had changed.

“We couldn’t do that new date, now they’re not giving us a refund, they’re forcing our hand to book with them,” Mr Wallwork said.

“It’s caused so much stress and drama. It’s really sad but we’re not getting disappointed, it’s happening to thousands across the UK.”

The BBC has contacted the venue for comment.

‘We’ve had to pay for two weddings’

Image copyright

Jenny Maybury

Image caption

Jenny Maybury and Michael Bromwich are hoping to get married next May

Jenny Maybury, 39, and Michael Bromwich, 36, had their wedding moved from May to September.

Only a handful of guests could make the new date in September, so Ms Maybury asked the venue, Abel’s Harp in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, for a refund of £5,355.

“We asked three

Read more